The Canadian government is freezing federal funding to Hockey Canada as the organization remains embroiled in a firestorm of scrutiny over its handling of sexual assault allegations.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Tuesday called the organization’s handling of the allegations “unacceptable,” while Sports Minister Pascale St-Onge said Hockey Canada will be “held accountable.”
TSN first reported news of the funding freeze on Wednesday morning.
Global News has confirmed the decision with the office of St-Onge.
More to come…
Sports minister says Hockey Canada must do more after alleged sex assaults
© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
- 2nd retired military officer charged in connection with sexual assault at RMC – National
- Toronto carjackings continue: latest incident near Keele Street, Finch Avenue – Toronto
- OPP investigate fatal Hwy. 402 crash near London – London
- Golfer impressing at U.S. Open this week once swung his clubs on Canadian Tour – Edmonton
- B.C. hockey team flying to Calgary for tournament as it’s cheaper than driving to Kelowna