HMRC is missing out on a total of £2.7bn in underpaid VAT, a new study has revealed.
HMRC suspects 208 of the UK’s 2,000 largest businesses have underpaid VAT by an average of £13.4m each, according to fresh analysis by Thomson Reuters.
The study said that the £13.4m figure relates to “tax under consideration”, which is an estimate of the amount of VAT HMRC believes has gone unpaid, prior to full tax investigations being completed.
- Thousands of post Office collection and cash delivery workers to strike on 14 July
- Brexit offers opportunity to unlock City’s potential, MPs say
- Revenue says £30bn of tax owed went uncollected last year
- Corks popping as English wine sales hit record highs
- Major star returning soon? Legend’s heartfelt post about Nick Khan, Roman Reigns receives praise (December 13, 2021)